Tuesday 12 October 2010


Thousands of Wasior Flooding Refugees Arrive in Manokwari
Monday, 11 October, 2010 | 18:28 WIB
TEMPO InteractiveManokwari:Thousands of people seeking refuge from the Wasior flooding that took place in Wondama Bay, West Papua, yesterday arrived at Manokwari Port. They came with the Ngapulu Boat belonging to state shipping company PT Pelni.

About 2.000 refugees came bringing only what they could carry. “I left my possessions back home. I couldn’t take my motorcycle with me on the boat,” said a refugee, Rosmi, today.

The refugees were taken directly to the Training Center dormitory. “This is an emergency situation so we had to use the Training Center,” said the West Papua Disaster Management Chief, Derek Ampnier.

The refugees will be staying in tents and provided with drinking water and medicines, Ampnier said. Last night, the refugees, including babies and children, slept on the floor over a cloth.


JERRY OMONA

No comments:

Post a Comment